I worked from home today because of the Nor’easter that plowed through New York today. While working, I watched the Yankees face the Mets in sunny Port St. Lucie, which was quite the juxtaposition of weather. Opening day is merely 22 days away, but it sure doesn’t feel like it. Anyway, here are few things on my mind regarding the Yankees:
- Adam Lind had a 122 wRC+ last season, projects to be an above average hitter again this year, and yet somehow only landed a minor league deal with the Yankees. Of course, given the opt-out in his deal prior to spring training’s end, I’d be surprised if he spends any time in Triple-A this year. I’d bet that he has a leg up on Tyler Austin for that last bench spot.
- Speaking of the bench, how it shakes out is not quite as clear now that Jacoby Ellsbury is banged up. It initially looked like the team would go with a four man bench consisting of Ellsbury, Austin Romine, one of Ronald Torreyes or Tyler Wade, and Tyler Austin. Ellsbury’s injury opens up a spot and the aforementioned Lind will be a challenger for Austin. Meanwhile, Clint Frazier‘s concussion probably will keep him out of the running for Ellsbury’s bench role, though Frazier might have wound up in the minors for regular playing time, anyway. Does this mean the door is open for Billy McKinney, who’s been red hot this March?
- Aroldis Chapman was all over the place in his first outing. There’s no reason to make anything out of one performance in spring training, especially a season debut. He was almost certainly rusty and shaking off some cobwebs. There is a legitimate reason to be a little worried about Chapman’s performance, though. Remember, he lost his hold on the closer role late last summer. His strikeouts were down and he labored quite a bit. Fortunately, he finished the year strong, but I have a lingering concern about how he’s going to age after seeing him experience his first on-field difficulties of his career last year.
- I haven’t written as much as I would have liked in recent weeks. Here’s the only other post I’ve done of late:
- BP Bronx: Fandom Makes for Strange Behavior